Scuba Ontario Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Equipment Forum>Let's talk UNDIES!
Rob Smith 09:20 PM 01-31-2009
Get your minds out of the gutter, I am talking about drysuit undies:-)

looking for opinions, on one peice or the top and bottoms with socks, wicking and or fleece materials. I like the 4th elements, and the DUI jumpsuits. I looked at the new Sub Zero but they look way to thick for diving in the warmer months. Another concern is I am installing a P Valve in my suit so I need to consider alterations / adjustments easy access...lol. I dive a Bare Trilam HD tech dry and I was using a fleece top and bottoms from Walmart last year to get an idea of insulation and found them to be a bit on the warmer than I need side and very bulky.

Thanks in advanced
[Reply]
Joe 05:39 AM 02-01-2009
Hi Rob,

Don't waste your time with the other brands. I have.

Go here.
http://www.santicanada.com/

Best fit, best quality, great range of motion, and you have your choice of a button hole or three way zipper to run a pee valve.
[Reply]
jmya 02:56 PM 02-01-2009
Any old crap, i.e fleece, will work for short dives in reasonable temperatures. What sort of exposures are you contemplating?

For summer, where you aren't spending a whole lot of time below the thermocline, I would say that some 200g type B thinsulate would be good (DUI/Santi/Bare). In the spring you will freeze your ass off though.

For spring/fall you'll need the 400g (DUI/Santi).
[Reply]
Rob Smith 04:59 PM 02-01-2009
Originally Posted by jmya:
Any old crap, i.e fleece, will work for short dives in reasonable temperatures. What sort of exposures are you contemplating?

For summer, where you aren't spending a whole lot of time below the thermocline, I would say that some 200g type B thinsulate would be good (DUI/Santi/Bare). In the spring you will freeze your ass off though.

For spring/fall you'll need the 400g (DUI/Santi).
I work outside year round have built up a good resistance to cold temperatures so cold doesn't bother me as much as most. New Years day I dove Humber about 9 am in my jeans and sweater with fleece pants and top. I was ok warm wise just a bit heavy in layers. I think I'll be fine with the Santi BZ 200 for now, I can't afford two suits. I dive Kingston, Brockville, Toby but this year I plan to hit Lake Erie more. Doing the Ice course at the end of Feb but I'll be ok for that suit wise.
[Reply]
Jen 08:17 PM 02-01-2009
200g Bz Thinsulate should be fine then and you can always add a vest...for the core. For Brockville I normally use solar fleece top and bottom under my shell suit and am fine. Kingston I find I need a bit more. For the Great Lakes...the 200 g is a pretty good option in general past the therocline.
[Reply]
serge 08:43 PM 02-01-2009
Originally Posted by Jen:
200g Bz Thinsulate should be fine then and you can always add a vest...for the core. For Brockville I normally use solar fleece top and bottom under my shell suit and am fine. Kingston I find I need a bit more. For the Great Lakes...the 200 g is a pretty good option in general past the therocline.
Interesting. I've used Polar fleece in the past. What happens when diving on a cloudy day or night diving? Does solar fleece still have good thermal properties? Also does depth effect it as you go deeper and the sunlight slowly gets dimmer?

Note: ya I know I'm being a sh*t but I just couldn't help myself :-)
[Reply]
Rob Smith 08:45 PM 02-01-2009
and here I thought SOLAR fleece was a new DIR thingy...LMAOOOOOOOO
[Reply]
Chantelle 11:06 PM 02-01-2009
In the spring/summer/fall, I use the 4th Element stuff, for water above about 45 degrees. Depending on the temperatures, I will interchange the pieces. I really do like the two piece option for this. For the almost 50 degree water, I will wear the Arctic top and bottoms (supposedly a 400g match). They are so easy to move around in, and are great for the river. In warmer temperatures, if I'm doing a longer dive, I will wear the Arctic top with the Xerotherm bottoms (supposedly a 200g match), and seem to be perfect. If the water is around the 70 degree mark, I wear the Xerotherm top and bottom, and all is well. Another thing I like about these is that if you have a leak in your suit, you do not have a clue that you're wet until you doff your suit. You cannot feel the wet. You may get a chill slightly quicker than if you were dry, but you don't feel the water. The outside of the material is wet, and the inside mostly dry.

I like that I can interchange pieces with these undies.

For water below 50 degrees... although I haven't ordered a set.. YET... I would totally go with those Santis. It seems I've made up my mind to go with them. :-) After seeing them on friends, and hearing their testimonials, I think I'm sold.
[Reply]
Jen 11:17 PM 02-01-2009
Originally Posted by serge:
Interesting. I've used Polar fleece in the past. What happens when diving on a cloudy day or night diving? Does solar fleece still have good thermal properties? Also does depth effect it as you go deeper and the sunlight slowly gets dimmer?

Note: ya I know I'm being a sh*t but I just couldn't help myself :-)

ya ya ya....anyways.....my fleece is just fine thank you...:-)
[Reply]
Chris2257 08:10 PM 02-02-2009
Rob, Like Joe I have tried a few, I have the SANTI BZ200 and a 400gm vest on order. That will work for spring (vest optional), summer (no vest), fall (vest optional). If its really cold (winter) I will wear my DUI 400gm "gumby" wear. I also have 4th Element base and Mountain Equipment Coop base as options.:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up