Scuba Ontario Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Equipment Forum>Wing Choice
Rob Smith 08:23 PM 01-24-2009
Thinking about picking up a new wing and I am wondering what you all use. I am leaning towards the Halcyon Explorer. Any thoughts or opinions would be great.

Thanks

Rob
[Reply]
Jay Roy 08:41 PM 01-24-2009
Halcyon Explorer is a good choice...What size tanks do you have? Its important to get the proper lift....
[Reply]
Joe 09:04 PM 01-24-2009
The Explorer is a good choice. I currently use the Evolve and it's good too. Jays right when he says the size is what's important as there are several manufacturers that make good wings. for your 104's and 130's get a 55 lb Explorer or 60 lb Evolve for 80's get a 40 Evolve.
[Reply]
Jay Roy 09:26 PM 01-24-2009
Or the 40 Explorer is a good wing for the double 80's...

For my double 80's, I have an Agir-Brokk 38lb lift..
Also a nice wing...http://www.salvosupply.com/inc/sdetail/203

Looks like its gone up in price tho..When I bought mine, it was closer to $300, which made it a nice option over the Halcyon..I wasn't sure how often I was going to be diving my double 80's and wanted to get a good wing at a good price...
[Reply]
Rob Smith 09:54 PM 01-24-2009
Originally Posted by Jay Roy:
Halcyon Explorer is a good choice...What size tanks do you have? Its important to get the proper lift....
I have a set of Worthington X8 119's, so they are about 4 inches smaller in height than the 130's, will that make much of a difference if I go with the explorer?

Currently using a OMS 60 pound bunged style without the bungee's, but i hate the inflators hose location on the upper front. I can use this for double 80'sdown the road or sell it.

[Reply]
Jay Roy 10:07 PM 01-24-2009
Originally Posted by Rob Smith:
I have a set of Worthington X8 119's, so they are about 4 inches smaller in height than the 130's, will that make much of a difference if I go with the explorer?

Currently using a OMS 60 pound bunged style without the bungee's, but i hate the inflators hose location on the upper front. I can use this for double 80'sdown the road or sell it.
I'd go with a 50lb lift for those...
The 60lb OMS wing is way to much wing for double 80's...The wing I use for mine is 38lbs....
I see you posted a pic...the inflator is in a bad spot..and the OP valve is in a REAL bad spot...
[Reply]
Rob Smith 10:18 PM 01-24-2009
Originally Posted by Jay Roy:
I'd go with a 50lb lift for those...
The 60lb OMS wing is way to much wing for double 80's...The wing I use for mine is 38lbs....
I see you posted a pic...the inflator is in a bad spot..and the OP valve is in a REAL bad spot...
Yes unfortunately I see that now, but live and learn, Alot of guys I know dive these in my area, but for me it just doesn't feel right and a poor design in my opinion, but lesson learned. So the 55 lb explorer will be ok I take it, thats what i'll go with.

Thanks Guys
[Reply]
Joe 11:00 PM 01-24-2009
Rob is there 2 OPV's on that wing? That's not a good spot at all. I would post that wing on the Deco Stop, someone will buy it, then pick up a used explorer. I see them listed forsale once in awhile and they usually go for around $250.00.
[Reply]
Joe 11:11 PM 01-24-2009
These are pretty good too.

http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35246
[Reply]
Jay Roy 11:16 PM 01-24-2009
Originally Posted by Rob Smith:
Yes unfortunately I see that now, but live and learn,
Don't worry dude..you should see some of the shite I've had before lol

I'd check out that wing Joe posted the link to..Ask for some pics...
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up